Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Highlander Coffee, I need ice latte/cappuccino please!

It is really very hot today and I badly need a fika (ice latte/cappuccino please!). Unfortunately, I have no plans of getting out of the house today and hence, quenching the heat with a home-made ice super 3-in-1 coffee and blogging about my visit to Highlander Coffee (which I recall took place on a day like today - HOT!).

Highlander Coffee is at Kampong Bahru, about 2 bus stops from my house. In terms of proximity, I have taken a loooong time to visit it. Sometimes it's funny how we don't really cherish/desire things that are within reach that much :)

The location is charming, given it is nested in a shop house. Quite a few cafes/restaurants have popped up in this area in the last few years.
I ordered a carrot cake to go with the ice latte. Solid and simple, recommended by the service staff when I asked if it is good :) also value for money, compared to a few other cafes I have been to... was a bit surprised when the cake and coffee came in plastic plate/cup - guess no frills so no passing on of 'extra' cost to customers.
 
Not very packed on a weekday. Overheard that they follow working hours and closes at 6pm. Café looks small from outside but is actually quite big because of the length of the shop house (see area behind the ladies?). Reminds me of the story I heard in Malacca about why the shop houses are so long - well, it was said that the local government will only tax for width and not length hence created a loophole for the locals to build longer houses that stretch into backyards :) I love travel stories :)
 
Café décor was very coffee-related. Solid and simple, I say again. Heh.
Coffee machines can be seen all round the café. Heard they conduct lessons too, so do visit their website if your dream is to be a barista or you just want to know more about your favourite drink of the time! :)

 
Was reading a magazine Coffee t&i and this article about how to sustain coffee trend in Singapore caught my eye. I do agree with the article that cafes, coffee roasters and consumers must adopt a genuine and honest approach to it if this is for the long run...Fad or fact is really up to the community.


 
 

No comments: