Friday, July 26, 2013

Big Mama!

Read good reviews about the Korean food at Big Mama but never really knew where it was. Spotted it when I frequented the Tiong Bahru Area during the months I was not working. Apparently this was the restaurant my sister suggested we try last year so the three sisters decided to go last Saturday! :)

Small restaurant in the Tiong Bahru Neighbourhood, off the heritage area. Tucked away, kind of, so you may have to search for it. Nearer the main road leading to Tiong Bahru Plaza, near the condominiums...

Corner shop. Long windows give you a breather from the feast and enjoy the tranquil of the area :)

Staple of Korean food - starters. All were tasty - and fresh, I say!

Our favorite - lotus salad which we asked for a few refills :) Complimented the spicy main course very well!

The recommended dishes were 'advertised' on the wall. We had to try Dakgalbi.

Dakgalbi - spicy grilled chicken in the making!

Drinking the Kim Chi soup while waiting for Dakgalbi to cook.

Seafood Pancake - very thin and crispy! For those who love spicy food, there is a kim chi version available. 

Dakgalbi - Done! It was ok - guess our expectations were high! The rice cakes were very nice though :)

We heard that we could add rice to the Dakgalbi after we are almost done with the Dakgalbi. So we did. It was nice and we were very very full by then!

Here's a parting shot of Big Mama before we ventured opposite for coffee at Drips :)
As I was blogging, I kept thinking of Big Mama as Hot Mama. Perhaps I found the food a tad too spicy subconsciously...Glad the starters and the seafood pancakes helped to balance the spiciness :) At the end of the day, it boils down to the selection of dishes that make a meal, I guess. And there are definitely many dishes I want to try at Big Mama. For its quality food and reasonable prices(we paid over $60), I say yes!

And yes, the area has many good food beyond coffee :) Another reason to check out my neighborhood - Tiong Bahru if you have not :P


No comments: